Thursday, January 6, 2011

Inexpensive Wall Art

I have a huge empty space on one of the walls in my living room that I have been looking for the perfect art for. Well, I came to the conclusion that I just couldn't afford a large enough piece of art for that space. SO, I came up with something else. Now, this is not my idea, it is all over the blogosphere, but I did make it my own by adding pictures of my kids and some "family rules". I did not include step by step pictures because it is SO easy!

Here's what you do:

I purchased a piece of plywood and cut it into 9 12x12 squares (your local hardware store might even do this for you if you ask nicely!)

I painted the edges of my plywood squares with a chestnut spray paint, I have also seen this done with ribbon.

Use a spray adhesive to adhere a 12x12 piece of scrapbook paper to each square. I tried to use modge podge at first but it bubbled and I wasnt happy! On 3 of the squares I had 2 of my favorite pictures blown up to 12x12 and a Subway Art file I got from Sassy Sanctuary.

Attach pictures hangers to the back and VIOLA! Instant and CHEAP wall art! I have to say...it looks GAWGEOUS!!!!!!!!



Now, when hubby gets home he can see just what I was trying to explain to him. He asked me over and over why I was hanging squares of plywood on the wall. You would think after all this time being married to me he would learn!



7 comments:

  1. What an adorable and creative use! That is such a smart way to fill a large wall. I'm so glad you liked the subway art and are putting it to good use. I'm going to include this post in tomorrows inspiration file post so you can stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Some scrapbook papers are just so pretty--what a great way to turn them into art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband also has no vision. Now I don't even try to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Can I ask where you got your pictures blown up? THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley- I got them printed at www.mpix.com, they do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've put together a round up of cool photo displays on Craft Gossip today and included your project. :) You can see it here
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-cool-photo-display-ideas/

    If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
    http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

    ReplyDelete